Friday, July 27, 2007

Last Day

















We went on a safari today and I have to tell you that to see a wild animal in his own environment is truely an awesome moment. I will keep this short and post some pictures for you to see. Just imagine I was there! I saw the Nile River and within the national park I was with giraffe, moneys, birds, elephants, lions, buffalo, harpes, many kind of deer like animals, crockodiles and tons of hippos.

I am very sad tonight as I say my goodbyes to everyone here. Well today is my last day in Africa and as one would expect I am feeling a wide range of emotions. Obviously my thoughts go to all the people in Africa. That is what I will remember most. I keep thinking about how I can make a difference. How can I help more? Now that I know what it is like here I will never be able to close my heart to these people. What has struck me the most and really stands out is that Africans are some of the poorest people on the planet . At the same time they have more love and joy than I ever seen before in my life. My heart aches for them and the way they must live. Anyone who wants to view my videos is welcome to do so but I think until you come here to this country for yourself, you can never fully understand the depth of poverty that is here. There is no “good side” of town. It goes on seemingly forever. Slum after slum after slum. There is no running water, no waste management, very rarely is there electricity, no food, no adequate shelter, no adequate clothing, no healthcare, very very poor school system if one even gets to go and hardly an infrastructure. There is no break from this, no where to go to get away. Yet if you were in need of help they would be the first ones to stop. Their hearts are big and they are very strong as they have been through so much. Thousands and thousands of orphans. The working generation has been decimated by HIV/AIDS and disease. The men are not around. Many single women are raising children when they themselves have the disease as well as all their children. Many mothers and grandparents have buried at least one child. Some have buried all their children. Many children are caring for their brothers and sisters and cousins because there is no one left to care for them.

I understand this is hard to read and easy to forget once you have read it but that doesn’t stop all the pain in Africa. The best I can do for now is sponsor the families I can afford to sponsor and spread the word to everyone I know about Global Family Rescue. I hope that my story will touch a place in your heart. If you feel moved to help you can always go to the web site at http://www.globalfamilyrescue.org/ and sign up to sponsor a family. Or if that is too much of a hardship at this point you can always do a 1 time donation to the general family fund or any specific family I wrote about. GFR's web site is set up so that you can make a donation through paypal. If you choose to sponsor a family it will be $64.00 every month for 3 to 5 years per family depending on their need. The program is designed to help the families become self sufficient by the end of sponsorship. This is done by vocational training and setting up small businesses where they can earn their own money. What is very important to understand about this process is that when you help one family, you help the entire community. There is more money flowing and everyone benefits from the revenue. After one years time you will be amazed at the difference in your family and their village. You will be able to communicate with them via email interpreted by GFR staff and they will write back to you as well. You are also able to buy a pig or a cow or a house for a certain family or anything you and GFR think they will benefit from. Please visit the web site and click on the contact us tab to let them know you are intersted. After that they will tell you how to become a family sponsor. I can’t save everybody but I CAN DO SOMETHING! I did not close my eyes. I came to be a witness so that others will know the desperation in this country. Please know that they love us very much and pray every day for help. If anyone has any questions about GFR or donating you can email me at kathynaper1@yahoo.com . GFR is working with local NGOs and all monies go directly to the families. The money is used to help the people. Their goal is to help the poorest of the poor first. In Africa they are called the “best poor”. Those most desperate for anything. I just keep thanking God for being born American and for having so much. I feel I owe it to God to share with others some of what I have been given. I just don’t want to say that I wish I could help but what can I do? Now I know there is something I can do. There are good organizations that care and get the money to the people who need it most.

I love this land and I will never forget what I saw here. I will never forget the love and the smiles on the faces of the children. I can’t forget all those hands desperate for anything I can give. I cried so much while I was here. I cried because I was scared, because I was overwhelmed with sadness and then I cried because I came to love the people of Africa! Every time I wave and share a smile with someone on the street it feels like we have exchanged a gift of love with each other. The smiles are so genuine and so full of love it is amazing. I am very comfortable now and I will truly miss this place for it is like no place else on earth.
Thanks again to all of your for your emotional and financial support. You know who you are!

Ben and Melody, co-founders of GFR, are really amazing people who have given everything they have to help the poor here in Africa. They and their children have sacrificed much so that others may live. I am in awe of this beautiful family with such giving and loving hearts. You should see them with the people. God is here and he sent Ben and Melody to let these people know that He has NOT forgotten them. God has heard their prayers and is answering them through GFR! God Bless Global Family Rescue, Ben, Melody, their children and most expecially the people of Africa! I love you all very much and am praying every day, many times a day, that God gives you the strength to go on. God loves you all so much. You can feel it the moment you are in your presence. God Bless, God Bless, God Bless. Africa I will miss you very much! You the motherland to all of the human race. Please not let us forget our African brothers and sisters! Goodbye for now, until I return.












1 comment:

Ben Pahlow said...

You are amazing! I am so blessed to have had you here. Thank you for giving your all. You are loved Kathy! I hope you know that we will never forget you. You made a huge difference here. WOW! What can else can I say!? I MISS YOU ALREADY and you only left 10 minutes ago!

BIG HUG,

Melody